Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Zebra Xing!

Fashion and I manage to co-exist. I try not to piss it off and it usually leaves me alone. This morning however, I was really glad to have taken a picture (and thus a GOOD, semi-awake look) at my attire because somehow ... I managed to channel my inner ZEBRA.



Yeah, that was a close call.



Allowed myself a luxurious extra half hour of shut eye this morning (6:53!!!) and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast.
Overnight oats:
1/6 cup rolled oats
1/6 cup oat bran
1 tsp flaxseed meal
1/3 cup lite vanilla soymilk
1/3 cup water
1/2 sliced banana
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup chocolate granola

That's a lot of stuff crammed into this tiny jam jar!



Lunch was equally an adventurous combo. Two slices whole wheat bread schmeared with edamame hummus, cucumber slices, 1/2 cup microwaved egg whites, a slice of fat-free cheddar cheese, and lotsa pepper! Eggs in sandwiches taste fantastic, but somehow my bread got soggy so today's dining experience was a little diluted. (har har)



My tummy was content, but my mouth wanted more. Broke out the emergency orange.



Several hours of homework later, the darned scone craving struck again! I considered resisting but then asked myself why? I certainly had enough of an appetite for a snack, and so set out on a quest to locate a worthy companion for my stomach. Would you believe I walked for half an hour all around campus to locate the perfect scone? Considering myself somewhat of a scone connoisseur, the UBC catering variety were far below my taste buds. I scrounged bakery after bakery and could not find one that I wanted to eat - some were too big, some were whole wheat (?!), some looked like stale oddly-shaped cakes in disguise. Surprisingly, I found myself at Starbucks!

Now I'm not a fan of Starbucks' scones at all. They're too cake-like and sweet and are usually covered with some nasty sticky frosting. Today however they had a miniature version that looked like a large thumbprint cookie! I decided to give it a shot. (These aren't the tiny triangular ones, they are about the size of a large dinner roll) It wasn't as crumbly as I liked and bordered on cake denseness, but had just the right amount of sweetness and a tart raspberry filling. I went to my last class satisfied!



Because of the late snack, I wasn't at all hungry when I got home. However, I've fallen into the habit of making dinner immediately upon stepping in the door (from the starving PSMF days) and pacified myself with a big bowl of sugar-free lemon jello.



When I was finally ready for dinner, I decided to use up some bits and pieces from my fridge. This flatout wrap has been in my fridge for over a month! It was stale, but not moldy, so it passed the Tracy test. However, the tomato sauce I spread over it tasted vinegary (does not pass the Tracy test) so I scraped that off and opened a new can. On top of the 'pizza' I layered deli ham, mushrooms, tomato, spinach, and 1 slice of fat-free swiss cheese. This was pretty much a giant salad pizza!



Munched on a handful grapes while the pizza was in the oven and don't quite feel like snacking anymore. (Shocking?!) Guess the scone satisfied my sweet cravings .. maybe I'll make a habit of it? :)

One thing I'm trying to do is to not label foods as 'good' or 'bad' but rather by how much I enjoy them. As much as I love ice cream and sweet treats, eating too much of it will definitely send me in a sugar coma. My equilibrium mode always leads me to crave feel-good foods, such as fresh fruit and hearty grains, and now after my PSMF stint, I definitely recognize the importance of protein as well. From now on, I will try to better honor both my cravings and my hunger, meaning: eat what I want, only when I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment