Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Topsy Turvy Tuesday

This morning started off ... well ... off.

I woke up at 5am on the dot and for some reason decided it would be a good idea to get out of bed then and get my run over with instead of going back to bed until 6, which is when my alarm was set for.

Since breakfast wasn't until 7, I split it up into two parts to have the fruit before my run. Half of an apple covered with chocolate peanut butter.



I realized why this was a bad idea when I had already changed and stepped out the door. It was still PITCH BLACK outside. There aren't any lampposts along my usual jogging route either and it definitely was scary ... like running in the middle of the night. I decided to take a route along a major street so I felt safer but didn't have a way of knowing how far I'd run. When I got home it turned out to have been 23 minutes so I guess I made a pretty good guesstimate of my usual length.

For breakfast, peach ginger tea, an oatmeal-chocolate protein powder-cinnamon cookie, and a little bowl of strawberries.



The cookie this morning was off too! Usually my cookies (after 20min in the freezer) turn hard and crunchy and I can break chunks off with my fingers. The one this morning was still gooey and sticky. I may have added in a bit too much almond milk last night when making it, but it could also be that I switched to a new brand of chocolate protein powder and this one dissolves differently. I'll need to play around with the recipe and tweak it a bit.



Ended up just eating it with a fork. Still delicious!



By the time I left for work, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. I was in a great mood having packed a yummy lunch and looking forward to finishing some projects from last week. Well 5 minutes away from my office, the most insanely painful and random migraine surfaced! I occasionally suffer from ocular migraines, which is a temporary loss of vision with the presence of a light aura that may or may not be accompanied by an actual migraine. I had to make a decision about whether to go into work, or to go home. Since my head wasn't hurting and only my vision was affected, I decided to go into work anyway and try to wait it out. The fastest remedy for an ocular migraine is to go into a dark, quiet room and either relax or nap. Usually mine disappear within 30 minutes. While I waited, I had some hot ice wine tea with a cup of Kombucha tea.



As I waited, I realized that the bright lights of the office and the sounds emitted from multiple printers, phones, and other electronic devices were only going to make it worse so I decided to head home. As soon I reached home I passed out in my bed and woke up an hour and a half later feeling much better and starving!

I broke out the sandwich I had packed for lunch. I sure was hungry because this sandwich dissappeared in under 10 minutes.



It's my own rendition of that awesome apple cheddar sandwich on multigrain bread from Aphrodite's last week! I spread hummus on two slices of sprouted multigrain bread and topped it with sliced cheddar, gala apple, and some spinach. While I can't say it's as good as the sandwich from Aphrodite's, (mostly because they bake their own bread in house) 80% of the taste at 10% of the cost is good enough for me!



Rounded out the meal with some cantaloupe + cottage cheese also packed for the office.



What a crazy morning! I'm going to catch up on some chores this afternoon and might have to meet a classmate from my 486R class to discuss a couple of the cases. Adios for now!

1 comment:

  1. you make your cookies at night and bake them in the morning ? amazing! ocular migraines sure sound scary.. glad everything turned out OK. your sandwich looks friggin heavenly. i need to go find some spinach and cheddar cheese and make a yummylicious sandwich too... maybe for dinner.

    ReplyDelete