Monday, November 15, 2010

Bake away your cravings

Everything tastes 100x better freshly baked and if you do it yourself!



But first lets rewind back to this morning ... pretty sure I qualify as the most annoying roommate ever but I can't help it if I'm HUNGRY!!!

I tried to pacify my hunger with yogurt. But it didn't work.



So I busted out the blender at 7:14am and blended away. I felt kind of guilty, but hunger > guilt. However to prove that I am not totally heartless, tomorrow morning I will be decent and make a quiet breakfast.



Breakfast: 301 calories

Some veggies and dip for lunch at school.



And a sunflower butter & blueberry jam sandwich. This combo is delicious but I will be honest and admit that I'm just trying to get through the jar of sunflower butter as fast as possible so I can be reunited with my true love .... ALMOND BUTTER.



Lunch: 358 calories

Afternoon snack was the remaining 3/4 of Mr.Clif.



Afternoon snack: 200 calories

That should've been good enough to tide me over until dinner, but I stayed unexpectedly late on campus due to a group meeting and bought food at the cafeteria instead because my stomach was imploding. The healthiest option they had were a selection of mediocre looking sandwiches, but this roasted turkey one turned out to be really tasty! Turkey + Lettuce + Cranberry Spread + Butter on whole wheat bread.



Dinner: 265 calories

I had a massive scone craving upon arriving home from school and thought about stopping in at Starbucks on my lunch break tomorrow to pacify it. But then I stumbled across this easy 15-minute scone recipe on Jenna's blog and I just HAD to try it. I followed the instructions for the most part but made some substitutions, I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour and margarine instead of butter.

Fresh out of the oven!



I think I underbaked them just a tad but they were still crumbly! I prefer moist scones to really dry ones in any case. This was so easy!



The recipe yields 4, but I cut mine into 2 big slices and 3 mini snack slices. (165 and 110 calories respectively) I topped a mini scone with date&fig greek yogurt (a new find!) and a teaspoon of blueberry jam. The perfect after-dinner dessert. I declare this mission a SUCCESS.



Dessert: 205 calories

Total: 1329 calories

Since it's the middle of the month I decided to check in on my November goals and see if I'm on track! It's kind of strange to scroll through my own entries and read past thoughts, the beginning of November seemed like it was just yesterday!


Food & Health Related


1. Drink less coffee!
- improving but still needs work. I'm down to two cups a day, and sometimes I'll only drink one but I'd like to have some coffee-free days.
2. Stick to liquid smoothies for two meals a day for at least five days a week. - fail (voluntary). most weekdays I will have at least 1 smoothie and sometimes two, but I decided that if I want 'real food' I shouldn't deprive myself. I still like them a lot though.
3. Sleep at least 7 - 8 hours a night - pass! most nights I get at least 7 hours.
4. Limit weighing to once a week. (On Wednesdays!) - fail. ok I'll admit I've cheated a couple times on this one ... only twice though! will work on it ...
5. Be more flexible with my schedule. - pass! I've been a lot better with accommodating to other people's schedules and not getting cranky when it's past my bedtime (ie 10:30)(two weekends ago I stayed out past midnight 2 days in a row, and this past Fri I didn't get home until 12:30 from my group meeting)
6. Waste less food and spend less money on food. - undecided. I waste less food now because I drink a lot of smoothies, but I still spend a ton of money on coffee and the like.

School & Work Related

7. Stay on top of readings and assignments and study for the majority of my finals before November is over - fail so far because there are just too many assignments I need to do, but hopefully I can be productive this week and catch up on my readings!
8. Be more productive after dinner - big big fail, I gotta work on this!! I may start staying on campus longer just so I can do work but it's pretty scary to bus home in the dark.


So yeah, there seems to be a lot of room for improvement, but just going back over the list reminded me of all the things I wanted to improve on this month! Do you guys make lists about your goals? How do you keep yourselves on track?

2 comments:

  1. I actually don't make any lists for ANY of my goals. They are all up in space. HM. You know, I think making a list of goals would be very useful too! I like that you go back and check on how you you're doing.

    In fact I don't keep myself on track very well! OHHHHHHHHHHHHo. OK. Goal time.

    PS: you scone looks scrumptious. omigoodness. I want to make scones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your scones would taste amazing! In fact I don't even know if mine came out right ... I just looove the crumbly texture! Would love to see your goals! :D

    ReplyDelete